Any young business needs to review its pricing at some point. We want to thank the many people that have given us suggestions and helped us with the new pricing and points systems.
Starting March 30, 2016, the following will be the new membership prices:
- $19.99/year for Map Enthusiast
- $29.99/year for Premium
- $49.99/year for Outfitter
We have not researched or looked at the outfitter pricing yet, so that will continue to be the same price for the time being. You can look on the membership levels page for details on each.
Discounts for Contributing Members
Members will receive a lifetime* annual discount based on their contributions to Paddle Planner. Contributions are measured using the points system. The discounts are as follows:
- $5/year for 400 points
- $10/year for 1,000 points
- $15/year for 2,000 points
- $20/year for 5,000 points
This discount system replaces the current system where members receive a one-time free membership for attaining point levels. Those members that have already received the free memberships still are eligible for the lifetime discounts.
*The pricing, discount, and points systems are subject to change, but we only anticipate changing the discounts to mirror any future price changes. Even if we have to revise these systems, we will always have something in place that rewards those people that make Paddle Planner a success.
Starting March 30th, we will be offering a free one-week trial of the premium membership to those that have never had a paid membership before.
Old Pricing for Current Members - One Year
For one year, current, paid memberships will continue to receive the old prices ($4,99/year for Map Enthusiast, $19.99/year for Premium).
- You will not be able to use the new discount system using the old prices. You will pay the lower of the new prices with the discounts or the old prices without any discounts.
- If you are a registered member but do not have a current, paid membership, you have until April 15, 2016, to upgrade and use the old prices. You would then be able to renew next year using the old prices, too.
- The old pricing will completely phase out on April 15, 2017. If you renew after this date, you will receive the new pricing. If you renew before, even if your membership expires after this date, you will receive one more year at the old price.
- Those that are not yet registered are not eligible for this offer.
The purpose of this offer is to give current members the chance to renew at least one more time using the old prices. You can renew/upgrade on the membership levels page.
Points System Changes
We are making some small modifications to the points system to better reflect contributions by the members:
- Different point values will be given for campsite ratings with and without comments. Comments are much more valuable than just a star rating, so we will reflect that in the points given.
- Photos that are chosen to appear in the home page rotation and in our Facebook Photo Friday will receive bonus points.
- Forum posts in which you are "thanked" by other members will receive more points.
- Administrators and moderators will be able to give bonus points for thoughtful contributions. This will be especially helpful with trip reports, where some obviously take many hours to put together. A great trip report will receive many more points than the minimum.
The points system changes have not yet been implemented. Some of the changes will be retroactive and will increase your current point total. Other changes will only be put into effect going forward. Your current point total will not decrease.